You can find how-to books with strategies laying out do-it-yourself strategies for transforming a property into a luxury home. Likewise, there are scads of online lists of imaginative touches that imply they will do the same.
The idea is certainly appealing (but so is anti-gravity and time travel). But of course, the fact is that authentic luxury doesn’t come cheap. A significant portion of the qualities of Port Saint Lucie luxury homes distinctions are intractable: in Port Saint Lucie, they involve a home’s location, size, and the architectural features of the overall facility. For instance, most upscale Port Saint Lucie luxury homes have a spacious living room; today, many feature an inviting area set aside for viewing a gargantuan wall-mounted flat screen TV. That’s a plus—but those with separate, professionally installed media rooms are a step closer to falling into the “luxury home” category.
It turns out that when you look at many of the lists touting “Simple Touches That Make a Luxury Home,” most are either not so simple, extremely expensive, or both. That’s not to say that actually employing some of the ideas might not pay off in terms of resale, but most involve substantial expense (and consequent risk). Still, there are other lists with more realistic titles— like “Adding a Touch of Luxury to Your Home” with ideas that involve more imagination than budget. They may not propel a simple property into the luxury class, but they can make a real contribution to a home’s livability and appeal—
- Layer floor coverings: strategic placing of throw rugs over hardwood or carpeting adds dimension and interest
- Improve visual coherence with wall cases, shelving, cabinetry or closed storage solutions (all these ideas actually systematically reduce clutter)
- Furnish to create focal points—every room can use an eye-catching center of attention
- Splash color: pillows on sofas; towels in bathrooms; pictures on hallway walls
- Rethink lighting: consider lamps and fixtures as key décor items rather than just light sources
- Add crown molding, chair rails, and baseboards—where surfaces meet, these simple architectural touches add subtle grace
The luxury home category rightfully describes the upper echelons of Florida residences—and their price tags reflect it. But imaginative, tasteful décor doesn’t have to be overwhelming to add appeal to any residence. You don’t have be putting your own home on the market to add some extra touches of luxury. But when that time does come, I hope you’ll call me to help!
Millie is fluent in English and Spanish with a strong network of Real Estate Professionals Worldwide. Other real estate blog posts by Millie Gil