Negotiation is a subtle art in real estate, but skilled negotiators can usually find some common ground that satisfies all parties. On the other hand, using the wrong negotiation tactics can sink a deal pretty quickly. Here are some negotiation tactics buyers (and real estate professionals) should avoid:
- Lowball offers: Going far below market value when you make an offer damages your credibility as a buyer and can be insulting to the seller. The seller has a range in mind that they’ll accept, and if you’re not even approaching the low end of that range, they won’t even consider the offer.
- Incremental negotiations: Don’t continue to go back to the seller with small increases in your offer ($1,000 or less). The constant back-and-forth can grow tiresome and lead the seller to consider other opportunities.
- “Take it or leave it”: Try not to draw a line in the sand with your initial offer. The seller can get defensive and consider other offers if you immediately show that you’re unwilling to budge. Even if it’s true, don’t make a show of it.
- Nitpicking after inspection: Obviously if inspection reveals a major issue, it should be factored into the final sale price. But insisting on a lower price for every minor repair can put negotiations in a stalemate.
- Asking for more, more, more: Some buyers will request that the sellers throw in add-ons like furniture or appliances that weren’t included in the listing. Try to avoid giving the seller a reason to build up resentment and think that you’re being greedy.
We’re here to help you in all your Florida real estate matters, starting with arriving at decisions that let you feel comfortable. I hope you’ll give us a call! Search Florida homes for sale Here
Registration to view the MLS and inventory of properties on our site is FREE. Your privacy is important to us. We will not share this information with outside parties. You can search our database and thousands of Florida properties by city, address, map, listing ID or site map. Thank you for your interest in the Florida Real Estate market.
Concierge Service: Bold Real Estate Group will provide concierge real estate services including set up of community tours and area information click here
Millie Gil is Broker-Realtor for Bold Real Estate Group, fluent in English and Spanish with a strong network of Real Estate Professionals Worldwide. Millie says “we are committed to providing a high level of service over and above the customer’s expectations. It is our goal to become your Realtor for life”.
Online Contact: Click Here Phone/Text: (772) 224-1634